Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Swamp Rose Mallow






I have been working on a portrait of the swamp rose mallow. This is actually my first commission--it will be the card for the wildflower of the year for Wild Flower Island at Teatown Nature Reservation. This is quite exciting, but a bit paralyzing too, as I keep having to deal with my own PERFECTIONISM. It just never gets to be good enough... Anyway, here are some early and more current pix of my progress. It was tricky because the flower blooms in September, and my deadline is March 1, so I have been working from photos and sketches I took last September. Not an ideal way for a botanical artist to work, but there it is! These pods are the hardest and most frustrating, though they look so innocent.

2 comments:

Connie said...

Boy is that beautiful!

RMartin said...

Lovely, Anne. Such delicate colors and fragility are very appealing. I have a picture of swamp rose mallow in situ taken this past summer in Medicine Park in southern OK. The body of water is Medicine Creek. I can't post it here, but will send it to you. Thanks for this blog discussing your work. It is continuously interesting and inspiring.